9/1/08

Goal Setting

When it comes to fitness and life in general goal setting is crucial. So many people today do not have goals, have lost track of their goals, or just simply do not know how to set goals. I sit down with people and go over goals on a regular basis and here are 5 bad goals and then I will write down 5 great goals.

1. I want to lose weight
2. I want to get stronger
3. I would like to make more money
4. I want to be healthy

Here are goals that follow the same lines as the one above with much better clarity and focus.

1. I am going to lose 20lbs in 3 months through proper nutrition and exercise.
2. I will be able to do 10 push ups on my toes with perfect form in three months.
3. I will increase my net income by 20% by the end of this year
4. In the next six months I will decrease my body fat percentage by 6% and will drop at least two pant sizes. I will double my strength and learn 3 new techniques for managing stress and then follow through with them. I am going to exercise 2-4 times per week for the rest of my life with continual improvement.

These are just a few examples and do not represent any specific person. Here are some important guidelines for your goals.

1. Write them down
2. Be specific and make some challenging and some easy
3. Make them attainable.
4. Write them in a positive way
5. Update them and look at them on a regular basis
6. Make them important to you (making a sculpture would not inspire me changing peoples lives through fitness is much more inspiring to me)
7. Action is most important (you can want to get in great shape but if you do not exercise it will not happen)
8. Make the process fun and learn from your mistakes

No comments: